Barbados Airport — Grantley Adams International
||Barbados has one airport Grantley Adams International (BGI) located in the southeast of the island, about 13km (8 miles) Bridgetown (the capital city). Grantley Adams has a modern feel and ‘The World Travel Awards’ has voted Grantley Adams “Caribbean’s Leading Airport” on three occasions. Additionally in 2010 the Airport Council International (ACI) recognised the airport as one of the best facilities in the region for service excellence.
When booking your ticket, passengers seated on the left of the plane will be delighted to get a bird’s eye view of the islands west coast before landing:
Immigration & Passports: All individuals (Except Caricom Nationals), including all North American citizens (Americans and Canadians), must be in possession of a valid passport and a valid return ticket to enter Barbados.
Barbados Visas: Barbados Visas are required for citizens travelling from the following countries. Visa applications cost $25 US (for a single entry) , have to be completed in duplicate, and must be accompanied by two (2) passport size photographs. A multiple entry visa is $30 US. Application forms are accessible here or at any of Barbados Consulate, Barbados Tourism Authority or Missions overseas. Contact your nearest Barbados Tourism Authority Office for application forms and other requirements.
Baggage Claim: Collect your baggage or utilise a porter to assist you with your bags, decide on a price and off you go.
AIRPORT SHOPPING & SERVICES
Apparel and Fashion Accessories
- Bijoux Terner: Bijoux Terner provides all Fashion & Accessories in store for US $10. Tel: (1 246) 428‑0923 or 420‑4423
- Runway Fashion: Clothing. Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 Ext. 4475
Beauty and Skin Care
- Earth Mother Botanicals: Earth Mother Botanicals offers simply natural, locally produced soaps and other skin care products from local plants and other indigenous plants. Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 Ext. 4470
- Runway Beauty: For Runway style. Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 Ext. 4470 .
Books, Magazines, Newspapers, and Music
- Biway Books and Music: Books, Music News & More Tel: (1 246) 418‑0532 .
- Courtesy Rent-A-Car: Providing car rental services in Barbados since 1975. Tel: (1 246) 418‑2500
- S&W Car Rental: Simple & easy car rentals.Tel: (1 246) 420‑2926 or 418‑0805
- Drive-A-Matic: One of the islands premier car rental agencies. Tel: (1 246) 422‑3000 Toll Free: 1 800 581 8773
- Sea Shell Convenience Store: Everything you need in one place. Tel: (1 246) 418‑9020 .
- Colombian Emeralds: Offering fine jewellery and designer watches. Tel: (1 246) 420‑7190 or 428‑7101 Ext.4721
- Diamonds International. The largest fine jewellery and watch retailer in the Caribbean. Tel: (1 246) 418‑2300 or 418‑2301.
Food and Beverage
- Chefette Restaurants Ltd: Chefette Restaurants first established in 1972 is the largest indigenous restaurant chain in Barbados. Tel: (1 246) 418‑8770 or 418‑8771
- Banks Bar: Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 Ext.4613
- Island Grill: Tel: (1 246) 420‑9011
- Grab ‘N’ Go: Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 Ext.4606/4634/4622
- Asia Express: Tel: (1 246) 4286540 or 428‑7101 Ext.4446
- Cream: Tel: (1 246) 4286540 or 428‑7101 Ext.4446
- Gate Zero Bar: Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 Ext.4653
- Christophe’s Café: Tel: (1 246) 420‑6021 or 428‑7101 Ext.4444 .
Liquor and Tobacco
- Barbados Agricultural Development & Marketing Corporation (BADMC): Tel: 420‑7062
- Cave Shepherd (Arrivals Terminal Only): This is your first chance to purchase liquor duty-free on island and enjoy it during your stay! Tel: (1 246) 420‑2536
- Runway Duty Free: Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 Ext. 4471
- The Refinery Limited: Tel: (1 246) 420‑0284
Luggage and Leather
- Runway Voyager: Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 Ext. 4474 .
Souvenirs & Local Craft
- Best of Barbados: A Large selection of quality art, crafts & souvenirs, made in Barbados. Tel: (1 246) 420‑4209
- Ganzee: Tel: (1 246) 418‑4197 or 428‑7101 Ext.4197
- Island Crafts: Tel: (1 246) 428‑0246
- The Tamarind Seed Tel: (1 246) 420‑2857
- Airline Executive Lounge: Tel: (1 246) 418‑9778 or 420‑3252 or 420‑2263
- Club Caribbean VIP Lounge: Tel: (1 246) 428‑0994 or 428‑1752
- Soothing Touch Da Spa: Tel: (1 246) 428‑8112
BE SURE to stop at the in-bound Duty free shops this is the only point on island where you can buy duty free liquor to take into the island, but other duty free delights like perfumes, chocolates, etc are also available.You can enter the island with roughly 1.75 lts of alcohol. Notably there are several items which travellers are prohibited from bringing into the island. Some of these restrictions can be accessed below.
Barbados Duty Free Allowances
Allowances: General duty free allowances in Barbados.
Personal Effects: Personal effects are passengers’ baggage containing apparel and articles for personal use which a traveler may reasonably require during his vacation e.g. clothing, cosmetics and accessories. In Your personal Effects you are allowed 1 litre of potable spirits or wine. All articles in excess of this exemption are subject to the relevant duty and tax.
You can bring in either, but not both, of the following:
•1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22 per cent volume
•2 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry), sparkling wine or any other alcoholic drink that’s less than 22 per cent volume.
Restricted and Prohibited Items
LEAVING THE AIRPORT
Just outside Barbados Awaits catch a taxi, bus or rent a car and you will be at the hotel in a jiffy. The general taxi rates are just outside customs for your convenience.
The airport drop off zone is right next to the ticketing counters, check in is usually two hours before the flight and there are several outbound duty free shops and restaurants to sample from upon arrival.
FACILITIES AT GAIA
- Money Exchange/Cambios. Open 5:00 am – 9:00 pm daily
- Wheelchair Service & Facilities for the Disabled
- Post Office
- Ambulance Centre
- Porter Services (Red Caps)
- Immigration: A valid passport and a valid return ticket are now mandatory to enter Barbados.
- Civil Aviation Department. Tel: (1 246) 428‑0930
- Environmental and Port Health. Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 ext 4642 /Ramp Office Ext 4643
- Ministry of Agriculture (Plant and Animal Quarantine) Tel: (1 246) 428‑7101 Ext 4649
- Meteorological Office. Tel: (1 246) 428‑9834
- Airport Police Station. Tel: (1 246) 418‑2649
Things you are never allowed to take on Board click Below:
Article © Caribbean Dreams Magazine
Photo originally from hsgeneral.com